Red Palace – City Hall

The present building was realized in neogothical style in 1838 by the architect Giuseppe Segusini on the site of and with some architectural elements from the old Palazzo Comunale, called “La Caminada”. The old building was demolished because of the impossibility– at the time – to restructure it. According to local historicists the original building was erected from the XIII century and completely rebuild in 1476. It was decorated with coats of arms and busts of venetian rectors, which now decoratethe facade of the City Hall. Some of the busts now form a fillet around the Teatro Comunale.

Inside there used to be frescoes of Andrea Mantegna, Jacopo da Montagnana and Pomponio Amalteo (fragments in the Museo Civico). Today it is the site of the City Hall and the council chamber contains historic frescoes byGiovanni de Min (1786-1859) and a series of portraits by Antonio Tessari.