Piazza dei Martiri is considered the stage of Belluno, the area in the spotlight with its beautiful palaces, the promenade and the cafés.
Before World War II, the Piazza was called Campitello, meaning the area were fairs, markets and parades were held. The present name is after the sacrifice of four patriots killed in the Resistance war in 1945.
The gardens go back to the Thirties. On one side there is a fountain decorated with the coat of arms of the 69 Municipalities of the Province of Belluno. On the other side there is the Resistance war Memorial, a bronze sculpture, by Augusto Murer.